The 9 Lives of Your Ebike Battery - When is it Time For Replacement?
1. Decreased Range: One of the most obvious flags that your ebike battery is losing performance is if you notice that it can no longer travel as far as it used to. Remember when you could travel 35-40 miles on a single charge, but now can only go about 20-25 miles? It may be a sign that your battery is losing capacity. Sure, you're getting more exercise, but is it on your terms?
2. Decreased Power: Another indicator that your ebike battery may be reaching its end is if you detect that it no longer has the energy and vitality it once did. If you feel like your ebike has gone from leopard to laggard, with a slower or less responsive ride, or with difficulty climbing hills or handling other demanding terrain, it could be a signal that your battery is losing performance.
4. Reduced Charge Acceptance: You may observe that your ebike battery is taking longer to charge than it used to, or it may not even be able to reach a full charge. This decreased ability of an ebike battery to accept and store charge is typically due to age or overuse and can result in a decrease in range and performance, as well as an increase in charging time. It is often caused by the deterioration of the battery cells, which can occur due to high temperatures, overcharging, and deep discharging. This is an omen your battery is past its prime.
6. Physical Damage: We've all taken a spill (or two) on our ebikes. If you distinguish any physical damage to your ebike battery, such as dents, cracks, or leaks, it may be a forewarning that it is no longer safe to use. This can be caused by a variety of mishaps, such as accidental drops or impacts, exposure to extreme temperatures, or even water damage.
8. Unusual Behavior: If there is any unusual behavior coming from your ebike battery, such as unexpected shutdowns or strange noises, your battery may not be able to land on its feet, this time. From faulty battery management systems or damaged battery cells, if you discern any unusual behavior from your ebike battery, it is important to stop using it immediately and seek out a replacement.
Ebike-Escapes is Proud to Partner with PeopleForBikes and Call2Recycle as an Authorized E-Bike Battery Recycling Center
Find a Recycling Center Near You >>
Cats don't really have nine lives. Neither does your battery. But, just as the jungle relies on the lion to provide energy and power to maintain the balance of life, so to does your ebike rely on its battery. It's important to be aware of the clues that your ebike battery may be nearing the end of its life and to know when it's time to further care for your battery or potentially replace or recycle it. If you recognized any of the problems in this article, your cat may be already on the roof.